Old time Crestline Businesses


Lee House and City Hall in Spire of the Catholic Church Back Ground

Contributed by Terry Feick


Old Post Office-Looking North Up The East Side of Seltzer Street

Picture Post Card Contributed by Terry Feick


S.Simmons "Saloon" South West Corner of Main and Railroad Ave ( per 1875-1876 City Directory )

Picture is inscribed on the back ""Pop Sim's and his grand daughter Sissy, at his saloon on Railroad Avenue."

Photograph submitted by Terry Feick.


Photograph Contributed by Terry Feick


Photograph Contributed by Terry Feick



 The Mayer Barber Shop

 Crestline Barbers Adopt New Code
Crestline Advocate

The barbers of Crestline have adopted the Following code of working hours and prices to become effective Monday August 14,1933. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, 8:00 a.m. To 7:00 p.m. , Thursday 8:00 a.m. Till 12:00 noon, except the when the day before a Holiday.

Hair Cut..............35cents
Shave...................25 cents


Thos. England
L.J. Obermiller
J.D. Obermiller
N.B. Mayer
C.J. Mayer
Milton Klingel
H.E. Kemp
W.T. Lightfoot
Henry Emmer
G.E. Gresmer
Frank Rauch
Wm.F. Foltz.

Abstracted from the 8-11-1933 Crestline Advocate—Crestline Public Library


Crestline Post office on the left in the "Triangle" Bldg.- Crestline branch of Cleveland Plain Dealer on Right

Bucyrus Street looking East to Railroad Ave-Pictorial History of Crestline


Cigar Factory Comes Here.

Employment for All Girls in Crestline and Vicinity is Guaranteed by the New Enterprise Which Locates in Crestline Next Month
Crestline Advocate

Crestline is to have a new enterprise next month in the shape of a cigar factory, papers have already been signed which will guarantee the location of the institution here.
A contract for business was made with Mr. W.T. Bolan , vice president of the Bethesda Cigar Co. and the C.M. Kildrow Cigar Co, of Bethesda Ohio. The horning block at the corner of East Man and East Streets, owned by Mrs. Emma Horning, has been leased for a period of one year with a guarantee from Mr Bolan that the lease will be extended if enough labor for the business can be secured in Crestline. Mr. Kidrow says the factory will employ at least 50 girls if they can be secured but that the plant will be operated in Crestline permanently if twenty girls can be had to take employment with the new concern. Girls are to make application for work at once. A Salary will be paid to the girls until they master the trade and then they will be put on piece work when, it is stated, a very satisfactory salary can be earned.
The companies with which Mr. Bolan is associated has factories in several Ohio towns and they have more than enough business to keep them all going as fast as labor conditions permit. Just at present Mr. Bolan says the factories are behind in their orders in the amount of five million cigars and the question with them is the matter of getting enough labor to complete the orders on hand and being place constantly.
Mr. Bolan and family will move to Crestline in the near future and for present will occupy the residence section of the Horning block and expects to be making cigars by December 15.
The proposition was landed through the New Industries Committee of Crestline Commercial Club, of which B.J. Cattey is Chairman.

Abstracted from the November 28, 1918 Crestline Advocate-Crestline public Library.

Note: The Bethesda Cigar Company was established in Bethesda Ohio in 1865 and made BLACK BALL cigars for 40 and more years. .



Grand Opening
Eureka Photo Company

Crestline Advocate

The Eureka Photo Company will give their annual opening on Saturday December 16, 1889. The people of Crestline and surrounding country are invited to come and see the fine display of photo novelties, fine pictures, fine frames and in fact everything in the photo line from the smallest size photo button to the largest photograph. Special attention given to large work, crayon, pastel and water color s. Will give special rates on cabinets during the holidays. When you are looking for a bargain in pictures and frames and fine artistic work , just call at Eureka Photo Gallery, over Crowe's Grocery north side of the post office, Seltzer Street, Crestline, Ohio.
Abstracted from the 12-14-1899 Crestline Advocate - Crestline Public Library.


 The New Burch Plow


  The Burch Plow Works

Nicholas Burch commenced to manufacture the popular New Burch Plow on 1887, in the same location where the present plan now stands. This plow filled a long felt want in the farmer's heart and was soon in demand. A company was organized in 1898 to manufacture the New Burch Plow and its growth has been wonderful. The have added four new plows made from patterns on entirely new lines. This plant covers 580 by 40 and 60 feet and they are making preparations to erect a large addition to the plant. Their sales last year were 4000 plows and a large number of sewer inlets. There is every indication of a big business this year and they are working night and day trying to catch up with orders. They ship all over the country and their plow gives universal satisfaction. Each year the plant has paid a dividend and they have laid up a surplus. They recently received orders from Cuba. They are reaching out and the outlook is very bright. Their only trouble has been in the scarcity of material which has been quite a hindrance to them the past year. The New Burch Plow has a very close hitch and a short beam, making exceedingly short draft. All parts are interchangeable from chilled to steel plow and from steel to chilled. No 24 is made large for wide furrows and can turn a 20 inch furrow if desired. -

Abstracted from 4- 17 1902 Crestline Advocate --Crestline Public Library.


Businesses Along Railroad Avenue -From Bucyrus street South


The 1910 Post Card View of above View


Early Merchants

 Columnist Recounts History of Early Crestline Grocery.
By Dr. Ernest Heser
Crestline Advocate

 Crestline Early Shopping Centers

In the late eighteen eighties one of Crestline's shopping centers was located at the junction of Washington Street and East Main Street and a prosperous business was a grocery store owned and operated by J. Frank Morkel. The store occupied the same room which is now Nelson Lee's Ford Agency.
Frank Morkel opened this grocery in 1887. The accompanying picture ( there is a picture that accompanies this article in the October , 1959 Crestline Advocate.) shows the store decorated for a holiday, , perhaps an “18th of August” celebration. Those individuals in the picture from left to right are, Mrs. Ben Heffelfinger, Biddie Heffelfinger, Stella Morkel, Porter Rhodes, Clarence Morkel, Mrs. J.F. Morkel, next and unidentified person, and last Christian Morkel.
Mr. Morkel carried a large and varied supply of groceries, vegetables, an assortment of dishes, glassware, oil lamps, and crockery. He stayed at the Main Street Corner location for 11 years and then moved to much larger quarters in the Jenner Block located at the corner of Crestline and East Bucyrus Streets. Here he increased his stock and modernized the room in many ways. Mr. Morkel became one of Crestlines reliable and representative business men. He was civic minded to such an extent that hew as willing to give of his time and and his ability in serving on municipal boards. For nine years he was a member of the Water Works Board and of he Council.
The grocery business was at that time very competitive , as it still is, for there were
three other grocery stores East of the New York Central tracks. There was Ben Heffelfinger's Grocery ad William Reeds Grocery on East Main Street, and Tommy Kerr's Grocery. Kerr's Grocery, later Hadley's , was located in a brick building on the corner of Washington and East Bucyrus Streets.
Frank Morkel was born in Crawford County, One mile West of Crestline, December 27, 1853. He was a son of Christian Morkel and a grandson of Peter Morkel. About
1829 or 1830, grandfather Morkel and family came from Germany to the United States and in 1832 came to Crawford County . They were pioneers in this area, and the means of transportation from Pennsylvania to this area was by wagon. It took many weeks to reach their new home. After years of hard labor a valuable farm was developed and Peter Morkel and wife lived to enjoy peace and comfort in later years.
Christian Morkel, son of Peter, and father of J. Frank Morkel spent most of his life on Richland County where he died in 1906. He was a man widely know and highly respected.
For many years J. Frank's home was on East Bucyrus Street. Mr. & Mrs. Frank Morkel were parents of three popular children. Edith is the wife of Lewis Smith, a retired Pennsylvania engineer and resides in Crestline, Clarence L, is a successful business executive who lives in Galion, and Estella (Stella) the wife of the late Howard Ackerman, lives in Mansfield. Frank Morkel carried on his grocery business in the Jenner Block for many years and finally sold it to Arch McKeller, years later Arch sold it to Blancett and Hatfield when it became know as the Market Basket Grocery.

Abstracted from the 10-01-1959 Crestline Advocate-Crestline Public Library

This I just one of the many articles written by the late Dr. Hesser, which helps to preserve both the written and oral history of our community.

**** in 2010 the building where Tommy Kerr's Grocery and later Hadley's Grocery is still in use on the corner of Washington Ave and East Bucyrus Street. It is the home of the A.M.E . Methodist Church.

Jake Reeders Men's Clothing-Geiger and Martin E.M. Neff's Businesses circa 1910

Northwest Corner of Bucyrus and Seltzer Streets

 E. M. Neff, was reared in Crestline and acquired his education in Crestline, at the age of fifteen he became a clerk for McKean & Thoman, he remained there for for twelve years, mastering the business in principle. Eventually becoming MckKean and Thoman's chief clerk. In 1891 he left McKean and Thoman and opened a small "Rackett" store with a very limited stock.  In 1896 he erected a two-story brick building on Setzer street, and had one of the largest dry goods establishments in the Crestline. In addition to his store he had other business interests, being a stockholder in the Schill Brothers Manufacturing Company and in the First National Bank both of Crestline.


Jake Reeder-Opera House Block-Looking West down Bucyrus Street and Northwest up Seltzer Street.

.Photo from Pictorial History of Crestlne.

 Sanitary Bakery Opened

The new Sanitary Bakery was opened to the public Wednesday of this week with a full line of bread, rolls and cakes at their room in the Clemmens building on Seltzer Street. Moore and Geiger, proprietors say they will have on sale bread, cakes and pastries of all kinds and will give the best attention to special orders for fancy baking. The new process of baking in the window in sight of the public is used.

Abstracted from the 10-02-1919 Crestline Advocate-Crestline Public Library.

 The Sleepless Dairy

Abstracted from A Pictorial History of Crestline Ohio.


Holcker Brothers

 Holcker Bros. Carriage MFG. Co.

Crestline, Ohio
This concern commenced the manufacture of buggies and wagons in 1873. They built the now famous Holcker buggy in a little one room shop and employed 7 men. Their first year's out put was 50 buggies and 25 wagons. Into those vehicles were put the very best material. The Holcker Brothers were practical mechanics themselves and inspected every piece of work that went out. These vehicles were appreciated and today their immense plant on seltzer street is a proof of worth of their work. Their 2 story building now covers 175 by 5o feet and contains the offices, workshop and show room. They employ only experienced men by the day, having no men on piece work. Their emplyees now number 25 men. They ship all over the country and even to England. Their sales last year were 500 vehicles and from present indications the sales this year will double those of last. -

Abstracted from the April 17, 1902 Crestline Advocate --- Crestline Public Library

 The Holcker Manufacturing Company of Kansas City Missouri.

The Holcker Manufacturing Company of Kansas City, Missouri can trace its history to the Holcker Bros. Buggy Co. of Crestline, Ohio a firm started by three German brothers, Charles, Jacob and Louis Holcker.

The Holcker brothers were born in the town of Alsenz, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany where they learned the carriage trade as apprentices in their father’s carriage shop. Their father, Philip, encouraged them to emigrate to the United States and establish their own carriage works, which was established just after the end of the Civil War.

It soon became apparent to the eldest brother, Louis Holcker, born on October 6, 1842, that in order to support his growing family, he needed more money than could be generated in the small town of Crestline, and consequently he needed to establish a works of his own in a much larger marketplace.

He chose Kansas City, Missouri and in 1888 established his own works in an abandoned church at the northwest corner of Eighth St. and Grand Ave. Within two years the business had progressed to where it relocated larger quarters two blocks away at the corner of Tenth St. and Grand Ave.

His two brothers, Charles and Jacob remained in Crestline running their buggy works which remained active until a 1919 fire destroyed the plant and they retired from business. The Holcker Bros. had also been early automobile dealers, and were listed as an Auburn Automobile distributor in 1908.

Louis married married his wife Julia (Linn) on October 6, 1870 and the union produced two sons, Otto, born on May 24, 1876 and Clyde, born December 31, 1883. After a public education both Otto and Clyde joined their father’s business which by the turn of the century had become Kansas City’s second largest carriage manufacturer. By that time the carriage works had relocated to the corner of Fourteenth and Campbell Sts.

Louis Holcker retired in 1906 and his eldest son, Otto L. Holcker, became president. Soon afterwards the Holckers took on a partner, John R. Elberg, and reorganized the firm as the Holcker-Elberg Manufacturing Company; Otto. L. Holcker, president and John R. Elberg, vice-president and treasurer.

John R. Elberg was an early Kansas City automobilist, having built his own electric vehicle in 1894 with Dr. H.C. Baker. Called the Baker & Elberg after its inventors, Kimes & Clark report that only a single example was built. Elberg was also an early automobile salesman, and Holcker-Elberg became the Kansas City distributors of the Peerless automobile and Federal truck.

In addition to building carriages and early automobile bodies, Holcker-Elberg distributed Goodyear tires and Clyde W. Holcker took a job with the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. as a salesman, becoming the manager of its Detroit sales office in 1912.

In 1908 they built a new 3-story brick factory at the northeast corner of Sixteenth and McGee Sts. where they established an auto top and refinishing dept. Their listing in the 1913 Kansas City directory made no mention of carriages as by that time they were producing bodies, tops and windscreens for automobiles exclusively.

A 1908 issue of the Automobile Trade Journal announced:

“Holcker-Elberg Tops, Bodies and Windshields: The Holcker-Elberg Carriage & Rubber Co., 1422-1428 McGee Street, Kansas City, Mo., long known as makers of high grade carriage bodies, tops. Etc., are now doing considerable work in the motor car trade maintaining in the newer field the enviable reputation they enjoyed in the old.”

Holcker-Elberg established a satellite branch in Dallas, Texas at 443-45 Commerce Street, in early 1910. The December 8th, 1909 issue of the Horseless Age reported:

“Dallas, Tex.—The Holcker-Elberg Company, of Kansas City, Mo., will establish a branch here. A three-story brick building will be erected on Commerce St., between Pearl and Harwood Sts., which will be supplied with electric elevators and all modern improvements. The cost will be about $15,000.”

Today’s driver’s may find it hard to believe that an Interstate Highway system was only a dream in 1913. To help the burgeoning road building movement, Holcker-Elberg placed the following announcement in the August 2nd, 1913 Kansas City Star:

“The Rent Road Day Spirit!

“To the Star: To help boost the governor’s good roads days we are glad to offer the use of a 3-ton Peerless truck with driver for such a time as the county court elect and for whatever purpose it can be used to the best advantage.

“We will also furnish as many workmen from our plant as can be spared from their regular duties.

“We believe that the work accomplished on these two days will be of immense value, not only as an immediated improvement, but an opening wedge for future road improvement of large scope. Holcker-Elberg Mfg. Co., Otto Holcker”

Although it was not their main line of work, the firm built a small number of buses during the teens and twenties as evidenced by a February, 18th 1915 article in the Kansas City Star:

“Eleven Busses Are Building

“One of the New Passenger Vehicles Will Seat Twenty Persons.

“Eleven new busses are now in the course of construction at two of the shops prepared to build homemade bodies. The Hesse Carriage Works, Seventeenth and Oak Streets, is at work on eight of the new carriers and the Holcker-Elberg Manufacturing Company, Sixteenth and McGee Streets, is building three of them. One of them is to have a seating capacity of twenty passengers. The roof is high enough for passengers to stand and they will hang on straps in the rush hours.

“The bus bodies are to be on new chassis of different types according to the preference of the several owners for the respective kinds of engine and chassis construction.

“We expect a new kind of transportation to be evolved from the jitneys,” Mr Holcker said.”

A 1916 issue of the American Motorist included an article on the Eldberg patent door curtain carrier:

“The Elberg door curtain carrier is manufactured by the Holcker-Elberg Mfg.Co., Kansas City. It is described as being extremely simple in construction, more practical and easier to install than any similar device.”

Despite it successes in the PR department, Holcker-Elberg’s 1910 expansion had heavily mortgaged the firm and in 1916 the firm filed for bankruptcy. Otto and Louis Holcker reorganized the firm as the Holcker Manufacturing Co.

A few years later John R. Elberg established the John Elberg Body Co., a small producer of buses and commercial bodies. The firm survived into the early thirties when it became another coachbuilding victim of the Depression.

Although the Holckers lost their Dallas satellite facility in the bankruptcy, they retained their Kansas City factory at 16th and McGee Sts. By 1916 the motor hearse was beginning to become popular and the firm began the manufacture of small numbers of coaches for regional Kansas City liveries and funeral homes.

Some early Holcker coaches were built on long wheelbase Peerless chassis as they remained an authorized distributor into the early twenties. At the time older chassis were often converted into hearses as evidenced by a classified ad which ran in a 1921 issue of the Kansas City Star:

“Packard Limousine body for the third series; excellent condition; must be sold at once; make us an offer. See Mr. Butterfield, Holcker Mfg. Co. 16th and McGee.”

Holcker eventually became distributors for Dodge and Graham Bros light truck chassis and in 1922 offered a distinctive two-tone gray 8-column funeral coach built on a Dodge chassis to the funeral trade. Their bus and funeral car business grew more profitable and in 1923 they expanded as reported by the July 29th, 1923 issue of the Kansas City Star:

“Leases At A.J. Stephens Plant. Helcker Company will pay $5,000 a Year for East Wing.

“The east wing of the A.J. Stephens Company’s rubber plant at Fourteenth street and Chestnut avenue, a building 100x150 feet, containing thirty thousand square feet of floor space, was leased last week to the Holcker Manufacturing Company for ten years at $5,000 a year. The Holcker company, manufacturing motor car and motor bus bodies and funeral equipment, will occupy the leased quarters this week. The structure will be remodeled to provide rooms for painting and drying and a dark room. The building will also be equipped with a ramp to replace elevators.

“The new quarters will enable the company to double its capacity, which is said to be warranted by the increase in motor transportation in this district.”

Holcker started advertising to the funeral trade in Casket & Sunnyside and the American Funeral Directorin the early twenties. The July and September, 1925 issues of the latter contained advertisements for the “Holcker Cortege Coach, a stately limousine-style hearse.”

Fully enclosed tops were also popular at the time and the firm manufactured their own line which was advertised in the October 25th, 1925 issue of the Kansas City Star:

“Don’t Freeze in an open car this winter. Holcker Mfg. Co., 312 E 17th, feature winter enclosures that are wind, snow and storm proof for as low as $55 for a roadster and $85 for a touring car. A Holcker enclosure makes your car like a sedan.”

Holcker Mfg. Co. became the Midwest distributor for Dupont’s new DUCO lacquer which had been introduced in 1924. The Holcker Sales Corp of Minneapolis, Minnesota was organized at the same time to distribute DUCO products in the Northwest.

The February 14th, 1926 issue of the Kansas City Star included a description of the firm’s Kansas City Auto Show display:

“If cars have feelings, some of the gorgeous beauties at the Motor Show last night must have felt dreadfully slighted at the feminine enthusiasm aroused over the “Ducoed” furniture displayed by the Holcker Mfg. Co., 312 E. 17th. Certainly, this creates a new era in furniture finishing. The sleek Duco finish, on the finest motors, which was the wonder of the 1925 motor show, has proved its absolute defiance of the element last year. Neither heat nor cold can cause it to crack or peel, nor can water spot it. Think how absolutely permanent such a finish would be on furniture! Holcker’s can Duco your old pieces of furniture, that are useless in the present dilapidated condition, for little more than it costs to varnish them; and Duco comes in all the exquisite bedroom tints, or rich lacquer red, orange, etc.”

A 1926 Holcker advertisement featured an attractive landau-style Graham Brothers hearse. Although Holcker preferred to equippe their hearses and ambulances on Dodge and Graham Bros. chassis, they are also known to have built on Buick, Hudson and Studebaker.

The firm’s founder Louis Holcker, passed away on December 22, 1926, and control of the firm was assumed by his two heirs, Otto and Clyde. Holcker continued to produce a small number of professional cars into the late twenties when they streamlined their operations in order to concentrate on the more profitable business of DUCO paint distribution.

For a number of years Holcker had been manufacturing a small number of high-pressure air and hydraulic tanks for airplane manufacturers. Clyde W. Holcker was in charge of distributing the tanks and in 1930 the tank division was sold to the Aircraft Products Corp. of Detroit. Michigan. Clyde relocated to Detroit in order to supervise the integration of Holcker’s tank division into the Aircraft Products plant.

Aircraft Products was a manufacturer of landing gear, wheels, brakes, axles, wing tips, and pontoons for airplanes and flying boats. In 1928 they had been purchased by the Warner Aircraft Corporation, the manufacturer of the popular air-cooled Scarab and Super Scarab radial aircraft engines.

By 1933 Clyde Holcker had rejoined his brother in Kansas City and on November 16th, 1933 the two brothers reorganized the firm as the Duco Mid-West Corporation. In 1935 the brothers introduced their own line of automobile upholstery dye which was called Dyanize. According to a Dyanize press release:

“Those involved in the retail sales of used automobiles have long been faced with the problem of how to recondition the upholstery. Rebuilding shops and used car dealers will be glad to learn this problem has been solved. The answer is Dyanize, a new metallic dye which is applied to the fabric with an ordinary paint spray gun. This upholstery dye restores, brightens and enriches the luster of any fabric.

“It sets in any type of material such as mohair, broadcloth, woolens, etc. and is sold in sixteen standard shades. On the average job the upholstery can be dyed in from twenty minutes to one hour. Exclusive national distribution of Dyanize is being made by the Duco Mid-West Corporation, 312 East Seventeenth Street, Kansas City, Missouri.”

Both Holcker Brothers passed away within 18 month of each other, Clyde on May 27, 1940, and Otto on September 13, 1941. Their DUCO distribution business was left to Otto’s wife, Doris Hanson Holcker, and daughter, Olive Ann Holcker as Clyde was divorced and had no children.

© 2004 Mark Theobald - Coachbuilt.com

 The Louis Holcker Carraige


 The Louis Holcker Plant




David Seltzer
 David Seltzer was born December 31, 1799 in Womelsdorf, Berks county, Pennsylvania. He was one of eight children born to Jacob Seltzer and Catherine Kaufman. He married Margaret Kuntz on 22 Apr 1833 (One year after his first wife Eliza O Sheitz died) and moved the same year to Ohio in a Conestoga wagon, settling in Springfield Township in Richland county. He is considered one of the founders of Crestline, Ohio, and a founding business man. "Seltzer Street" the main business street in Crestline is named after him.

 Moyer Home on East Main Steet was once a Historic Tavern famous in this area.

Seltzer's Tavern
Crestline Advocate
By Dr. Ernest Hesser.

As you drive east on Crestlines main Street (30-N) and across the county line road the fourth house on the left side of the road which you will pass will be the home of Wallace Moyer. Formerly it was the Kraner home and previous to that the William Peppards raised their family in that house/
It was on this site that he famous Seltzer's Tavern was located before there was a village called Crestline.
Seltzer's tavern was the earliest tavern in this area and its host was David Seltzer. The road which passed by the tavern was traveled by stage coaches, covered wagons, riders on horse back with Wooster as its eastern terminal and Upper Sandusky as the western. It ran through the village of Mansfield onto Seltzer's Tavern, through Leesville, Bucyrus and Upper Sandusky. This rough road may have been opened up by the soldiers who passed through here during the war of 1812. At certain seasons of the year it was almost impassible for travelers due to its sticky clay mud road bed,
Seltzer's Tavern was a double log cabin house and here humble fare consisting of corn pone and venison was provided for the hungry and weary visitors. As time passed Seltzer's Tavern became the best known stopping place west of Mansfield. Not only were the stage passengers and riders fed but their horses were watered and given feed and sometimes fresh horses were provided. It became the headquarters of the stages from Wooster to the west.
After the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati Railroad (The New york Central Railroad) was built in 1850-51, the Ohio & Indiana Railway (western division of the Pennsylvania Railroad out of Crestline) took out its charter: the charter read that the railroad was to commence on the C.C.&C Ry at a point near Seltzer's Tavern. It is no doubt the only tavern in the United States which was distinguished by being made the terminal point for a great railroad. The junction point of the two roads later was made a mile southwest of Seltzer's Tavern. Soon after the coming of the new road (about 1854) David Seltzer discontinued the Tavern and moved to the new village of Crestline. One of principal streets is named after him.
David Seltzer was interested in many activities. In 1838 and for a number of years following he was treasurer of Sandusky Township. At that time the area in which we now live was a part of Richland County. He paid laborers who were building the new roads in the county and also the school teachers, his treasurer's account book, his bible and a fine portrait of him are on view at the Crestline Shunk Museum.

Abstracted from the April 2nd 1959 Crestline Advocate-Crestline Public Library.

Note: The Moyer home referred to in this article wa the home of "Toad" and Rosie Moyer.

 Weaver Brother's Mill


Taken in by the Weaver Brothers Company – Improvements to be Made.

Crestline Citizen Newspaper

In our last issue information was given that the Farmer's Milling Company, then in negotiations, would soon be turn over to their flouring plant to a company, that proposed to run it to its fullest capacity. We are glad to report that the deal has been made and it is our pleasure to announce to announce that the Weaver Brothers are the new proprietors having purchased a sixth interest in the company and and taken a lease of one year and with a privilege of five. Extensive improvements in adding some of the latest machinery will be made and the mill will be opened for commercial and custom grinding about the first of April, if there are no overlooked details.

The Weaver Brothers Co., in taking hold of this industry, will bring all of their accustomed energy and to bear in making it a success. From their experience in the warehouse business, that they resurrected and put on a paying basis, and again made Crestline a number one market for grain and other farm products. We look for the original Crestline mill to again assume its place as one of the prosperous institutions of our village.

The management of the mill under the direction of William Weaver who also has the management of Crestline Vernon Warehouses and who so successfully carried on the business of the Vernon Stock Co. As soon as the new machinery is installed and the mill is ready for operation we will give our readers a description of the plant.

Abstracted from the 03-01-1906 Crestline Citizen Newspaper-Crestline Public Library.


Proprietors of Evans Flour Mill Expect
to start local concern September 16th.
The Crestline Advocate.

The Weaver Brother's Mill property changed hands twice during the past weeks. The business was conducted under receivership since January 1, 1939, and prior tot hat by Norbert Weaver, but the place has not been in operation since April 1.
Frances Cattey, receiver for the company, sold the property, including the land just east of the Big Four Railway and south along an extension of Pierce Street, the elevator, garage and equipment to the Farmers and Citizen's State Bank. The bank held the mortgage on the place and bought it at public auction in July, although the sale was not confirmed by the court until 10 days ago. The bank resold it to Arthur C. and Howard P. Evans, of Galion who conduct the Evan's Flour Mill in Galion.
Remodeling of the building is now under way and new equipment will be added to extend the service which the firm will make available to the public when the concern opens for business about September 16. It will be known as Evans Grain and Supply Company and will handle a complete line of feed, flour, coal and building supplies. Bert Volk will be in charge of feed grinding.
The Weaver Brothers Company was incorporated in 1901 with stock held by several individuals, and the late William H. Weaver was the active manager until his death. After that the business was conducted by his son.

Abstracted from the 09-05-1940 Crestline Advocate – Crestline Public Library.



Trory's Drug Store

Picture contributed by Terry Feick


Trory's Drug Store -- West Bucyrus Street


Post card contributed by Terry Feick

 Schill Brother's Stoves
The Schill Brother's Company.
Schill Brother's Started in a small way in the hardware business in 1883, in the B. Heffelfinger block, on East Main Street. In 1885 they moved to the corner of Main and Seltzer streets and while there they invented their furnace.
In 1891 they manufactured two of them, one of which was
sold to Frank Clemmens, Jr, and which is still in use. These heaters proved such and innovation that in the Spring of 1892, they disposed of their hardware store and engaged in the manufacturing of their furnaces, in what was know as the old lock shop employing 12 men.
The demand for their heaters was such that they were compelled to enlarge their plant the same year, and notwithstanding the panic in those times, the plant and force were increased each year up to 1900 when owing to the phenomenal increase in business it became incorporated with a capitol of 100,000. They immediately added extensive additions, yet in the same year found their facilities inadequate, and to meet the demand, added the mammoth addition in 1901, which in all covers nearly two acres of floor space.
They employ 127 men. The sales last year were over 3000 ranges and 1000 furnaces. They ship all over the country . This years business up to the present is 33 ½ percent above last year at this time.
Abstracted from 1902 Crestline Advocate-Crestline Public Library

Schill Oak No. 218E
Made by Schill Bros., Crestline, Ohio circa 1900, this seldom seen oak stove stands 57" high and has an 18" firepot for coal or wood. Absolutely beautiful swirling skirts, and five mica windows to view the fire.Cookplate and heating oven under swingtop
Pictured from Ginger Creek Stoves
Restorers of Antique Stoves

Crestline "Crest Theater"

Corner of Seltzer and Scott Street

 The Crest Theater
circa 1937
Abstracted from The Crestline Advocate

The Crest Theater was a well known landmark and provided the entertainment to the families of Crestline for many years. It was operated until the 1960's by Leo J. Burkhart, affectionately know to the patron's as “Burkie” it showcased all of the top films of the day.
Burkie was born March 3, 1897 to Charles and Anna Nadler Burkhart, he was in the theater business in Crestline for 42 years and operated all three of the major picture houses in Crestline. He first operated the Grand Theater which was also on Seltzer street that was razed when the A & P Grocers came to town he then obtained the Hippodrome which was on West Bucyrus Street. Finally coming to operate the Crest Theater.
Burkie was married to Katherine King in 1945. Leo J. Burkhart died in may of 1960.

Abstracted from the obituary June 1, 1960 Crestline Advocate-Crestline Public Library



New Texaco Station Opens Saturday.
Crestline Advocate
The new Texaco station for Crestline will open Saturday, June 11, under the direction of and ownership of Bus Capell and son, Bob. Located at the corner of West Main and Thoman Streets, the station will have side entrances on both streets and easy access to every department of their auto service.
The Texaco station has been closed for several months while under reconstruction and it till be open this coming Saturday, June 11. The public is cordially invited and prizes will be given away.
Tires and other automobile accessories will be sold in addition to all automotive services.
Abstracted fromg the 06-09-1949 Crestline Advocate-Crestline Public Library, Crestline Ohio
Alexander E. Jenner, M. D., was born January 26, 1830, in Philadelphia. He studied medicine with his father, and attended Oberlin College for some time. He attended a course of lectures at Western Reserve College, Cleveland, Ohio, in 1850-1851, and then practiced medicine at Crestline, Ohio, until 1873, after having attended Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York. He was appointed assistant surgeon of the twenty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and shortly afterward, surgeon of the Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until the close of the war. lie served as surgeon of the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad for eleven years, and he was appointed superintendent of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, but felt compelled to resign. at the end of a few months, on account of political jealousies. He came to Dayton in 1874, and has been in the practice of his profession here ever since.
Copyright © 2010 - Old Time Crestline, Ohio